With more and more Londoners choosing to rent, coupled with soaring house prices in the capital, many people are turning to the option of a studio apartment rental when it comes to finding an affordable place to live.
As with any property, studio apartments have their own unique set of advantages and disadvantages. While the typical size of a studio apartment sits on the smaller end of the scale, you can do a lot with the space.
In this post we'll run through a handful of the benefits of living in a studio flat in Pimlico: a neighbourhood that's plugged into London and gorgeous enough to make your friends green with envy.
Why studio flats and Pimlico go hand-in-hand
Studio flats are self-contained apartments where the normal functions of multiple rooms – often the living room, bedroom, and kitchen – are combined into a single room.
Because London is such a bustling city, drawing in an excess of 21 million international tourists each year, it’s hardly surprising that space is at a premium! This influx of travellers, coupled with normal London renters, has created a highly competitive rental market.
Many potential renters have opted for Pimlico as their preferred Central London destination, for a couple of reasons:
- There are plenty of buildings here that are big and beautiful, and which lend themselves perfectly to being split into apartments
- There's a ton of restaurants, bars, shopping centres and green spaces in the area
- You're plugged directly into the London Transport Network, making it easy to get just about anywhere
- And believe it or not, rental prices in Pimlico are competitive
Renters who choose Pimlico studio apartments benefit from the lower average rent price in comparison to other nearby neighbourhoods. For this reason it definitely makes sense to opt for a smaller space in a more central location, as opposed to a big gaff that's miles from anywhere.
Renting a studio flat: is it right for you?
Deciding on the type of apartment you need is completely subjective, and what works well for you might not work at all for the next person. It will take time and effort to find out if the studio apartments on offer in Pimlico are going to serve your best interests.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself when deciding if a studio flat is right for your needs:
- Does the rental price align with your budget? If not, you may be better suited to a spare room in a bigger house in the suburbs or some similar living arrangement.
- Do you plan on living alone, or do you need extra space for frequent guests? If the latter, a snug studio might not be right for you - especially if you're planning to offer guests a place to sleep!
- Will the average size of a studio apartment satisfy your lifestyle and storage needs? Studio flats are small, there's no escaping that. Some people can live very comfortably in a cosy space, while others will find themselves quickly feeling claustrophobic.
- Are you looking to save money on rent by downsizing? If so, a central studio might not always be cheaper than a bigger living space that's further outside the city.
- Do you appreciate a multifunctional living space, or do you need defined partitions between each room? If you answered "yes" to the last part of this question, a studio probably isn't for you!
It’s especially important to determine if a studio apartment is right for you if you intend on sharing your space with a partner. Privacy may be a concern of yours when sharing a space, and while there are some practical DIY fixes if this is a concern (free-standing partitions, a well-placed privacy screen etc), it's better to be sure you're happy to commit to the living arrangement before signing the dotted line.
If you are tempted, our Pimlico studio apartments offer excellent value for money, especially if you factor in the guest facilities on offer at Dolphin Square.
The advantages of renting a studio flat
If you’ve been considering renting a studio flat in Pimlico, you’ve probably drawn up your own lists of pros and cons to help you make an informed decision.
Below, we will share some expert insights that you might not have considered into why studio flat rentals could benefit you:
- Studio apartments offer high levels of security. Often, studio flats will be located on upper levels of a building. Provided you aren’t in a basement or ground floor apartment, the risk of burglary is greatly minimised. What’s more, at Dolphin Square we offer 24-hour security, adding that extra layer of peace of mind.
- Pimlico studio apartments offer lower property taxes than detached homes. Your council tax payable on studio flats is significantly lower than what you would pay for a larger apartment, and as we all know, these small savings add up in the long term.
- Often, studio apartments are housed within one building that caters to a range of various tenants. A great studio apartment building will house a range of sports and leisure facilities to help you make the most of your stay. At dolphin Square, we proudly offer on-site amenities : the ultimate convenience, at your doorstep.
- Studio apartment living offers a sense of community, allowing you access to the companionship of close neighbours, or the solace of your own space if you need some time to yourself.
- A great studio apartment will offer you access to communal gardens - giving you free entry to green space without the need to maintain it yourself. Dolphin Square boasts 3.5 acres of idyllic gardens, accessible to all our residents, included in your monthly rental fee.
- It may seem obvious, but one of the biggest benefits of studio apartment living is that it has considerably fewer responsibilities than buying a house: there's no need to worry about maintaining fixtures, paying exorbitant bills typically associated with homeownership, and you will likely pay less on utilities like gas because of the smaller area you need to keep warm.
- Pimlico studio apartments offer an affordable solution to living in a location where house prices would be expensive.
- Lastly, a well-designed studio apartment makes smart use of space. You can decorate your studio apartment to suit your own unique taste, and make use of the ‘nooks and crannies’ of your apartment to maximise storage options.
Why you won’t break the bank renting a studio flat with Dolphin Square
Average rent prices are considerably lower in certain parts of London. It’s worth researching the area you want to live in to get an understanding of how you can find the same apartment type, with the same facilities, at a lower rate, simply based on location.
As a quick comparison, the average rent price for Mayfair comes in at a staggering £3,210 per calendar month - the highest rental price across all of London’s boroughs.
A meagre stone’s throw away, Pimlico comes in considerably cheaper, with an average rent price of £910 per calendar month.
Is a Pimlico studio apartment right for you?
If you’re looking for the most affordable, practical solution to renting in the capital, our Pimlico studio apartments offer all the convenience you could desire. Our modern studio apartments offer unbridled safety, proximity to major transport links, on-site amenities that complement your lifestyle, and the safety of knowing you’re choosing an established and trusted name in the London rental market.
If you’re ready to book a viewing, get in touch with us here. We are available to answer your questions and discuss your specific needs. We look forward to welcoming you!