We’re betting you might have heard the word hammam, but not necessarily know what it means. Learn more about this ancient Moroccan ritual and decide if it’s the right treatment for you with our handy guide.
The Moroccan hammam uses hot steam to encourage relaxation and detoxing. It does wonders for softening skin, relaxing the mind and opening the pores for a deep cleansing experience.
The history of the hammam
The tradition of bathing is an integral part of Middle Eastern and North African culture, often taking place in beautiful old bath-houses. Bathing is as much a place to gather and talk as it is a place to relax and clean yourself.
The first public baths can be traced back 2,000 years to the Romans. The idea spread quickly throughout the empire and shortly after Morocco became one of the first countries to embrace this way of bathing. Citizens loved keeping themselves clean and nourishing their skin, all while being able to sit and chat with their neighbours.
Today the hammam bath is still highly prevalent in Moroccan culture, with many locals attending at least once a week.
Is a hammam right for you?
The benefits of a hammam are both mental and physical. Benefits include:
- Decrease muscle tension. It soothes muscle pain and rheumatism, ideal for athletes or those who sit at their desk for hours at a time.
- Beautifying the body and face. Take away dead skin from your body, unclog pores while eliminating toxins from the skin. It leaves skin super silky and smooth.
- Boosts the immune system. The hot steam used during hammam boosts the immune system by dilating the blood vessels and increasing circulation in the body, opening pores so toxins can be released..
- Intensely invigorates. The intense scrubbing and massage you experience during hammam lead to your body experiencing a considerable increase in blood flow, in turn, stimulating and awakening the senses.
- Physical and emotional detox. Reduce stress, anxiety and allow deep relaxation that can help with better sleep for days after.
- Fight acne. Regulate skin oil secretions to prevent acne and help heal scars and reduce redness.
What to expect from a hammam at The Spa at Dolphin Square
A traditional Moroccan treatment experienced in the warmth of the Hammam. Your body is doused with warm water as a Tellak exfoliates away impurities using a Kessa glove and Savon Noir, a cleansing soap made from crushed olives, olive oil and Eucalyptus.
£55 for 25 mins. Book here: https://spa.dolphinsquare.co.uk/contact-us/